List:       pykde
Subject:    Re: ImportError: ~/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/PyQt5/QtCore.abi3.so: undefined symbol:
From:       Phil Thompson <phil () riverbankcomputing ! com>
Date:       2024-03-14 15:39:09

On 09/03/2024 14:06, Pei Jia wrote:
> Hi, all:
>

> I think my issue mentioned in the title is due to Qt5 version
> incompatibility.
>
> /ImportError:
> ~/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/PyQt5/QtCore.abi3.so: undefined
> symbol: _ZdaPvm, version Qt_5/

This is due to a Glibc compatibility with PyQt5 and Qt5, see below.

> I manually installed the newest Qt-5.15.12 already.

I assume you mean PyQt5-Qt5 v5.15.12.

> However, due to https://pypi.org/project/PyQt5/ , PyQt5 is still
> 5.15.10   .
>

> That probably caused the above error.

No. PyQt5 and PyQt5-Qt5 do not have to have the same version number.

> Wondering if two packages: PyQt5 and Qt5 itself are maintained
> respectively by the same group and at the same time?
>
> Well, anyway, can anybody please help to upgrade PyQt5 from 5.15.10 to
> 5.15.12?

The root cause of the problem is that I am trying to use the same Linux
installation to build for PyQt5/Qt5 and PyQt6/Qt6. This is not
sustainable as the build environment for Qt5 is fixed (as Qt5 is no
longer supported) but the build environment for Qt6 continues to move on
and diverge. I will resolve this when I create an Qt5 build environment
based on an older version of Glibc. In the meantime I think you have to
upgrade to a newer Glibc or downgrade PyQt5.

Phil