List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What is pulling in *-lang packages?
From:       Stefan Seyfried via openSUSE Factory <factory () lists ! opensuse ! org>
Date:       2024-04-20 7:20:33

(slowly getting slightly offtopic ;-)

Am 19.04.24 um 17:51 schrieb Martin Wilck via openSUSE Factory:

> Some people still have old laptops without quasi-limitless disk space.
> Others have better uses for their disk space than storing support file
> for languages they don't use. And it's not just disk space. It's also
> backup space, network bandwidth, and precious user time spent waiting
> for updates to finish.

Then be careful what you wish for ;-)
I remember when "the big texlive modularization" happened and we went
from 5 to 5000 texlive packages (numbers might be slightly off).
While this does not change the actual size of the update, the size of
the repo metadata exploded back then.
(I think the other metadata explosion was when kernel packages got every
single function / module symbol included in their provides list.)

So if we split out each locale in each -lang package (~1700 right now in
Tumbleweed), we might end with 10000 -lang packages and that will again
make the metadata explode in size.

In Tumbleweed it is not as bad, but try Leap 15.5, the metadata update
when refreshing repos is almost always way bigger than the actual
package updates.

But this might be solvable with some common sense: a -lang package
which, containing all languages is only a few hundred kB is maybe not as
urgent to be split up, while others like NetworkManager where the -lang
package is 10 times the size of the main package and contains 64 locales
might be worthwile targets.

So as I said: be careful what you wish for :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried