List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What is pulling in *-lang packages?
From:       Martin Wilck via openSUSE Factory <factory () lists ! opensuse ! org>
Date:       2024-04-19 15:51:12

On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 11:50 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> If the languages parts are small, there is no much saving by doing
> separate packaging. The view in Linux seem to be better install all
> languages, so that all users of a single machine can choose their own
> different languages, all being available.

Is this "the view in Linux"? Has it been discussed in the openSUSE
project?

I can see the point somewhat - minimalists will just use the "C" locale
anyway, and for others the full pack may be most convenient.

But not me. When I was still a Debian user, "localepurge" used to be my
friend.
And: zypper has this feature, so why can't some more packages use it?

> Disk space is cheap :-p

Some people still have old laptops without quasi-limitless disk space.
Others have better uses for their disk space than storing support file
for languages they don't use. And it's not just disk space. It's also
backup space, network bandwidth, and precious user time spent waiting
for updates to finish.

Regards
Martin