List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What is pulling in *-lang packages?
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2024-04-19 16:34:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 2024-04-19 17:51, Martin Wilck via openSUSE Factory wrote:
> On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 11:50 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>> If the languages parts are small, there is no much saving by doing
>> separate packaging. The view in Linux seem to be better install all
>> languages, so that all users of a single machine can choose their own
>> different languages, all being available.
>
> Is this "the view in Linux"? Has it been discussed in the openSUSE
> project?

I don't know.
I say "seems to be" meaning it is my thinking of what seems to be the
thinking :-)

> I can see the point somewhat - minimalists will just use the "C" locale
> anyway, and for others the full pack may be most convenient.

It is less resistance, fewer things to do. Disk space is cheap. But
bigger updates.

> But not me. When I was still a Debian user, "localepurge" used to be my
> friend.

I heard of it, or similar. Some people have a cronjob removing -lang rpms.

(I wrote that before reading your last paragraph)

> And: zypper has this feature, so why can't some more packages use it?
>
>> Disk space is cheap :-p
>
> Some people still have old laptops without quasi-limitless disk space.
> Others have better uses for their disk space than storing support file
> for languages they don't use. And it's not just disk space. It's also
> backup space, network bandwidth, and precious user time spent waiting
> for updates to finish.

Yes, absolutely.

Ideally, there should be a method to only install the language files one
is interested in. Even if the package is a single one for all languages,
the installation utilities could be coded to only install the wanted
languages "somehow".

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 15.5 x86_64 at Telcontar)

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]