List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What is pulling in *-lang packages?
From:       Patrick Shanahan <paka () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2024-04-19 13:16:26

* Martin Wilck via openSUSE Factory <factory@lists.opensuse.org> [04-19-24 05:38]:
> On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 09:16 +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> >
> > I understand that every experienced user obviously always does it
> > but as ultimately experienced user with final wisdom I learned
> > following recommendations makes life easier (except exceptions)
>
> I don't think consensus will ever be reached on this subject.
> Greetings from a strict "solver.onlyRequires = true" fanboy.
>
> Martin
>
> PS: Just checked out of curiosity, "zypper inr --recommends" would only
> install 165 additional packages on my workstation, occupying ~300MiB.
> That's much less than what it used to be - perhaps only texlive users
> must disable recommends these days.

"zypper inr --recommends" gets me:

  The following 10 NEW patterns are going to be installed:
    documentation  20200505-48.2
    fonts          20170319-12.1
    fonts_opt      20170319-12.1
    kde_yast       20240311-2.1
    multimedia     20201106-3.7
    sw_management  20200505-48.2
    x11_enhanced   20200505-48.2
    x11_yast       20220411-1.6
    yast2_basis    20220411-1.6
    yast2_desktop  20220411-1.6

  1155 new packages to install.
  Overall download size: 955.2 MiB. Already cached: 0 B.  After the
  operation, additional 3.1 GiB will be used.

a significant amount.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                   paka @ IRCnet oftc