List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What is pulling in *-lang packages?
From:       Martin Wilck via openSUSE Factory <factory () lists ! opensuse ! org>
Date:       2024-04-19 8:59:20

On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 11:17 +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> Sure, it would be nice to have more visibility into what installer
> does and what various settings language selection affects. As well as
> more documentation on what various zypper options actually do :)

Indeed, as several long-time users have confessed in this thread that
that they'd never heard about the aloc/lloc/rloc commands before
(neither did I).=20

Side note - I don't see much value in openSUSE's all-or-nothing
approach to language support. It's interesting to see that zypper seems
to have a concept of "requesting" locales. But installing any locale
other than the default means installing -lang packages with support for
all languages supported by the package, while the average user will
need no more than one language besides English. Are there any packages
that actually provide language support split by language? (I don't see
any). Is there tooling support for creating such split packages? Are
there plans to introduce such support?

Regards,
Martin