List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What is pulling in *-lang packages?
From:       Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-04-19 8:17:38

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 9:57 AM Stefan Seyfried via openSUSE Factory
<factory@lists.opensuse.org> wrote:

> Am 18.04.24 um 20:07 schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
>
> > You explicitly told zypper that you want locale support. Now you
>
> No, yast implicitly did that when I did install with german language
> setting.

OK, let's put it this way - zypper has explicit configuration to
install locale packages for the specific locales.

> > complain that zypper installs locale support and want flag to tell
> > zypper to ignore what you configured.
>
> I want "--no-recommends" to not install "only recommended" packages.
>
> Now technically it was even correct, beause the -lang packages are
> "Supplements".

No, "--no-recommends" does apply to the "real" Supplements
dependencies. But in this case these dependencies are synthesized by
libsolv and do not exist in the package itself.

andrei@tumbleweed:~> rpm -q --supplements cpupower-lang
andrei@tumbleweed:~> zypper info --supplements cpupower-lang
Repository                  : Time since last refresh
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss : 1 min 50 s
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss     : 1 min 50 s
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Update  : 1 min 50 s

    Note: Running with user privileges. From time to time run 'zypper
refresh' as root to make sure
    the repository metadata are complete and up-to-date.

Reading installed packages...

Information for package cpupower-lang:
--------------------------------------
Repository     : openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss
Name           : cpupower-lang
Version        : 6.8.6-7.9
Arch           : noarch
Vendor         : openSUSE
Installed Size : 82.5 KiB
Installed      : Yes
Status         : up-to-date
Source package : cpupower-6.8.6-7.9.src
Upstream URL   :
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/rafael/linux-pm.git
Summary        : Translations for package cpupower
Description    :
    Provides translations for the "cpupower" package.
Supplements    : [6]
    (cpupower and namespace:language(cs))
    (cpupower and namespace:language(de))
    (cpupower and namespace:language(fr))
    (cpupower and namespace:language(it))
    (cpupower and namespace:language(ka))
    (cpupower and namespace:language(pt))

andrei@tumbleweed:~>

So "Supplements" that you see are just technical implementation
details. They are generated from Provides:

andrei@tumbleweed:~> rpm -q --provides cpupower-lang
cpupower-lang = 6.8.6-7.9
cpupower-lang-all = 6.8.6
locale(cpupower:cs)
locale(cpupower:de)
locale(cpupower:fr)
locale(cpupower:it)
locale(cpupower:ka)
locale(cpupower:pt)
andrei@tumbleweed:~>

specifically from "locale(package:lang)" and are handled in solver as
a special case, not as general weak dependencies.

In your case cpupower-lang was considered for installation exactly
because zypper was configured to add the specific locale, not because
this package supplemented (in RPM sense) something else.

Sure, it would be nice to have more visibility into what installer
does and what various settings language selection affects. As well as
more documentation on what various zypper options actually do :)