List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: RFC: New devel project devel:languages:python:pyqt and deal with different SIP versions
From:       Ben Greiner <code () bnavigator ! de>
Date:       2021-06-06 14:51:01

Am 14.04.21 um 22:16 schrieb Luca Beltrame:
> In data mercoledì 14 aprile 2021 14:46:24 CEST, Ben Greiner ha scritto:
>
> > As mentioned before, I would favor devel:languages:python:pyqt. I
> > volunteer to participate in maintaining the project, but of course it is
> > at the discretion of the existing maintainers.
> I'm not sure if I worded it correctly, but I was in agreement with d:l:p:pyqt.

Despite repeated inquiries, Matej is still vetoing d:l:p:pyqt. [1]

* SIP and PyQt[56] are not from the same developers as Qt or KDE
* SIP (python-sip) has nothing to do with KDE:Qt*
* PyQt[56] is the main but not the only consumer of SIP
   - Thus, following Simon's argument [2], python-qt5*, python-PyQt6*
and python-sip* should be in the same devel project.
* Qt Libraries are packaged into separate projects for each minor version.
* The most recent version of PyQt5 compiles with any Qt5 version. The
most recent version of PyQt6 compiles with any Qt6 version.
   - Thus, putting python-PyQt6 into a KDE:Qt6.X project would be wrong

With the bullet points above, one could argue to put everything into
devel:languages:python, but that collides with Matej's veto and Simon's
argument. If we can't get d:l:p:pyqt, IMHO the next best thing would be
KDE:Qt:PyQt.

Ben

[1]
https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/list/factory@lists.opensuse.org/message/3RAYAJWYTOQG3ZX6B6QIPSPRPJNBC4P3/ \
 (which is a reply to an off-list message)
[2]
https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/list/factory@lists.opensuse.org/message/XNOW34RTSSJYSGNJSPGJ2KWZVT2PKDZE/