List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
From:       Takashi Iwai <tiwai () suse ! de>
Date:       2018-05-24 6:56:45

On Mon, 21 May 2018 16:31:24 +0200,
Todd Rme wrote:

> There are still a large number of packages in openSUSE:Factory that
> are python2-only.  Some have not been touched upstream in years.  We
> probably should start thinking about what to do with them.
>
> I think we should break python2-only packages into four categories:
>
> * Those that have python3 support that just hasn't been integrated
> should be updated.
>
> * Those that upstream has indicated has python3 support in the
> near-term roadmap should be kept as-is for now (or updated to the
> latest version).
>
> * Those that are python2-only and have not seen upstream activity
> since 2016 should be dropped from openSUSE:Factory and dropped from
> devel:languages:python after a two-week warning period.

How are these warned?  Warning on ML doesn't help, as not every
maintainer reads it.  At best, it should be reported via Bugzilla and
assigned to each maintainer.

Another concern in this proposal is that the package dependency isn't
considered.  What if a dropped package is required by lots of other
packages?  The warning should be reached to all these relevant
packages; otherwise you'll bust the build of all of them out of
sudden.

Last but not least, IMO, two weeks are too short for such a
transition.  One may have a vacation for two weeks easily if living in
Europe :)

If it were about fixing some breakage, shorter is better, of course.
But this isn't about it.  Rather it may break things potentially.
Better to handle more carefully.

thanks,

Takashi