List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Update while active graphical desktop session made logout impossible
From:       Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister () gmx ! net>
Date:       2012-12-20 20:17:21

Am Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2012, 16:31:12 schrieb Claudio Freire:

> >> This is a bit impractical if the patch fixes a security problem.
> >> Secondly shutdowns may be rare.
> >
> > Nobody stops users from changing the default.
> >
> > And what's more impractical?
>
> There's also the inconvenience of delaying shutdown considerably.
>
> Imagine I'm running out of battery life, and the system starts applying
> updates?

Suspend to disk.

But anyway, I like the idea and your argument does not really defeat it.

Simply add a checkbox or something like that to the logout/shutdown dialogue:
"apply updates when logging out". If it is enabled by default users can
disable it per usecase.

Question is, if that checkbox is disabled should the updates be installed when
starting-up or wait until the next logout?

Also, what if people never shut down but simply hibernate. Whatever tool used,
it must mediate that an update needs the logout. And since linux people are
picky about their choices, it would have to offer to install them without
logout as well. Apper can notify about "shutdown/logout needed" AFAIK, not
sure about other update frontends. Yet currently it only does it after updates
are applied not before.

Sven