Am Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2012, 16:31:12 schrieb Claudio Freire: > On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Lars M=FCller wro= te: > >> > We could even be more elegant and throttle the download speed if= other > >> > processes use the same link. > >> >=20 > >> > b) Apply the updates on shutdown > >>=20 > >> This is a bit impractical if the patch fixes a security problem. > >> Secondly shutdowns may be rare. > >=20 > > Nobody stops users from changing the default. > >=20 > > And what's more impractical? >=20 > There's also the inconvenience of delaying shutdown considerably. >=20 > Imagine I'm running out of battery life, and the system starts applyi= ng > updates? Suspend to disk. But anyway, I like the idea and your argument does not really defeat it= . Simply add a checkbox or something like that to the logout/shutdown dia= logue:=20 "apply updates when logging out". If it is enabled by default users can= =20 disable it per usecase. Question is, if that checkbox is disabled should the updates be install= ed when=20 starting-up or wait until the next logout? Also, what if people never shut down but simply hibernate. Whatever too= l used,=20 it must mediate that an update needs the logout. And since linux people= are=20 picky about their choices, it would have to offer to install them witho= ut=20 logout as well. Apper can notify about "shutdown/logout needed" AFAIK, = not=20 sure about other update frontends. Yet currently it only does it after = updates=20 are applied not before. Sven -- To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-factory+unsubscribe@opensuse.org To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-factory+owner@opensuse.org