List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Update while active graphical desktop session made logout impossible
From:       Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?= <lmuelle () suse ! com>
Date:       2012-12-20 19:56:49

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 04:31:12PM -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:

> >> This is a bit impractical if the patch fixes a security problem.
> >> Secondly shutdowns may be rare.
> >
> > Nobody stops users from changing the default.
> >
> > And what's more impractical?
>
> There's also the inconvenience of delaying shutdown considerably.

Nobody stops users from changing the default.

But the current way lead to the trouble I described.

Isn't that more painful?

And till now the replies had been: we need to keep it how it is.  But
there is a bug.

Claiming my suggestion doesn't work doesn't make the defect go away.

> Imagine I'm running out of battery life, and the system starts applying updates?

Nobody stops us from checking the battery state too.

If the system runs on battery we might skip applying updates.

You know how the apply delta and apply update process works?

We first apply the deltas.  That's what would happen in the background
process too.

Then libzypp utilizes RPM and RPM first installs the new files and in a
second step it removes the no longer needed files and cleans up the
database.

All what could happen is to have the same package installed two times in
the database.  But that could happen at the moment too.

All I like to see is progress.  The current approach leads to the
described trouble.

Please be this nice and reply with a suggestion how to address the
described issue.

Cheers,

Lars
--