List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] The plan to speed up openSUSE 11.2
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-27 11:44:10

Onsdag den 27. maj 2009 12:30:37 skrev Mike:
> > gnome menu
> > Ubuntu - starts up immediately
> > openSUSE - lasts about 1 sec.
>
> 1 second is significant? I'm sorry, but you really need to get a life.
> If you can't wait that long something is seriously wrong.
>
> > control center
> > Ubuntu - takes cca. 1 sec.
> > openSUSE - takes cca. 3 seconds
>
> Oh gee, now it's 2 seconds..

If he thought it was hugely significant, he probably wouldn't be on this list,
would he?

But every app in both KDE and GNOME (cold) starting very noticably faster, in
seemingly just about any other distro on the same hardware, is something that
should be taken seriously.

*The* most common complaint about openSUSE from non-fanboys and distro-
tourists is that "openSUSE is slow". While people usually don't specify what
exactly is slow when and where, there seems to be some truth to it when it
comes to application (cold) startup.

People usually assume it's caused by the starting of a few additional services
compared to other distros, but I don't buy that a few extra services can make
such a big difference on a modern "Vista capable" computer. I think something
is wrong on a lower level - whether it is linking, file system, kernel,
compile options or something else I have no clue - but I'm quite sure
something is wrong somewhere.

Like I said before, the feeling of responsiveness with regards to application
startup in Mandriva 2009.0 compared to openSUSE (9.2 -> 11.1), was simply
shocking.