List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] The plan to speed up openSUSE 11.2
From:       Robert Kaiser <KaiRo () KaiRo ! at>
Date:       2009-05-27 11:42:29

Stephan Kulow wrote:
> I guess it would be easier to do it in the /usr/bin/firefox wrapper script
> when firefox exited. you still want to check no other instance is running,
> but that should be easy _there_.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the right thing would be to do this right in
the original Firefox code, using the idle timer functionality in Mozilla
that can do stuff when the browser is idle. I know this has been
discussed in the "places" team (the feature that uses sqlite to store
history and bookmarks) but it just might have been buried under a lot of
other work over time. Would be interesting to see if
bugzilla.mozilla.org has a report about this and get something going
there again. If someone puts work into this, we should try to have all
users of the feature (i.e. at least all Firefox and SeaMonkey users)
benefit and not only the openSUSE users (as much as we like to be better
than the rest of the world).

Robert Kaiser