List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: wonders of open source [showimage ]
From:       bent fender <ksusup () trixtar ! org>
Date:       2023-07-27 12:55:36

Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:37:45 +0200
Daniel Bauer <linux@daniel-bauer.com> :

> Sometimes wonderful things happen and I want to share this with you.
>
> User gumb hinted me on this list to showimage as the successor of the
> abandoned kuickshow, that I urgently need for my daily work. But
> showimage lacked a feature I need [resizing window without zooming
> image]. gump provided me the email address of the developper, Martin Koller.
>
> Last Sunday I wrote an email to Martin describing my problem.
>
> Tuesday he sent me an executable with a new version and asked me to test it!
>
> Already this version did what I needed. I sent my report and added some
> suggestions of features he'd maybe liked to add for future releases.
>
> The same evening I received a new version that included those additional
> features (settings to turn off hover-menu, change background color;
> change brightness/contrast/gamma).
>
> Now I have a perfect showimage that is even better than kuickshow was
> (it also can display RAW files, Filename is showed better [at the
> beginning of the title, so it remains readable in small windows], mouse
> wheel can be used for zooming, all windows can be closed with one
> click/shortcut, brightness/contrast/gamma-changes can be undone...)
>
> Honestly I didn't expect such a fast and perfect solution for my problem
> and I know that even in open-source one cannot expect this. But it shows
> how helpful this mailing list often is, and that in the linux world
> things can happen that are absolutely unthinkable in Win/Mac surroundings.

Those are not even in the running anymore in literate societies

> So sorry for taking your time for my sentimental post, but I just had to
> share my gratefulness!

Nice to hear there are still devs like that :-)

I've been missing the very early ancestors of KDE's DirectAccess widget (or whatever \
it was called when I last gave up on it). Brought it up many a time only to get \
replies like I get in the hardware store: "there no demand for it". To that I would \
reply "how do you know until you put it up on the shelf"? I hope this dev gets the \
satisfaction seeing the number of downloads increase over time!