List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: wonders of open source [showimage ]
From:       gumb <gumb () linuxmail ! org>
Date:       2023-07-27 23:20:35

On 27/07/2023 13:37, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> Sometimes wonderful things happen and I want to share this with you.
>
> User gumb hinted me on this list to showimage as the successor of the
> abandoned kuickshow, that I urgently need for my daily work. But
> showimage lacked a feature I need [resizing window without zooming
> image]. gump provided me the email address of the developper, Martin
> Koller.
>
> Last Sunday I wrote an email to Martin describing my problem.
>
> Tuesday he sent me an executable with a new version and asked me to test
> it!
>
> Already this version did what I needed. I sent my report and added some
> suggestions of features he'd maybe liked to add for future releases.
>
> The same evening I received a new version that included those additional
> features (settings to turn off hover-menu, change background color;
> change brightness/contrast/gamma).
>
> Now I have a perfect showimage that is even better than kuickshow was
> (it also can display RAW files, Filename is showed better [at the
> beginning of the title, so it remains readable in small windows], mouse
> wheel can be used for zooming, all windows can be closed with one
> click/shortcut, brightness/contrast/gamma-changes can be undone...)
>
> Honestly I didn't expect such a fast and perfect solution for my problem
> and I know that even in open-source one cannot expect this. But it shows
> how helpful this mailing list often is, and that in the linux world
> things can happen that are absolutely unthinkable in Win/Mac surroundings.
>
> So sorry for taking your time for my sentimental post, but I just had to
> share my gratefulness!

Appreciate you reporting back on this. Having just come home in a bad
mood after an argument with a git in a pizza
parlour-cum-this-is-where-you-now-have-to-collect-your-parcels parlour,
that made me feel better.

To help get the new version of the app out there the developer could
start by providing an appimage on that kde-apps / openDesktop site,
rather than just a tarball, and since he already uses the Open Build
Service maybe he could provide packages for various other distros
without too much difficulty. That would be a start, as it seems to be
available practically nowhere else.

ShowImage seems to offer a different spin on image viewers that many
users would still appreciate so it could be worthy of getting integrated
into KDE Gear, although with everything currently transitioning it would
probably have to be updated for Qt6/Plasma 6.

I'm a Gwenview guy so I've already uninstalled ShowImage, but after
having it as my default viewer for a few days I can see how it could
have its uses in a certain workflow.

gumb