List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] systemd
From:       Anton Aylward <opensuse () antonaylward ! com>
Date:       2017-07-15 17:11:59

On 15/07/17 03:20 AM, Larry Stotler wrote:
> Linux's biggest problem is fragmentation more than anything else.
> With Windows or Mac OS, you have 1 OS and several versions to choice
> from.  With Linux, you have hundreds of distros and many versions of
> each.  You even have dozens of BSDs to chose from.

To me, that represents a strength not a liability.
*NIX and FOSS are inherently adaptable an able to change and address specifics.
Thank for things like Kali, Knoppix (which seems to be able to run on any
hardware I've ever encountered, even things that Ubuntu can't), Puppy (for
discarded desktops that pre-date even XP), Porteus (under 300M), AV-linux, and
of course Android.  There are versions optimized for kiosks, for network
analysis, for servers, for security. Oh, and of course ones optimized for the
Cloud.  Many of these are available as LiveCD aka USB.

As people have pointed out, Suse has the great advantage of the build System,
https://build.opensuse.org/
where anyone can put together customized version of any of the FOSS tools, up to
and including building their own distribution.  All the 'heavy lifting' is done
for you; you just have to specify what you want.  Ff you want to micromanage
code, regress, enable or disable specific features, yes you can.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-build-a-linux-distribution-with-suse-studio/
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Tutorial

If you feel that you need to "Make Linux Great Again" by regressing, then you
can do so.  You can even publicise your 'systemd-free kde3 based' distribution
for all to "share and enjoy".

And if people decide they don't want to use that, then they don't need to.
Just like you don't have to use the mainstream distributions.

Oh, wait!  There are lots of people who have used to Build System to make their
own highly customized distributions.
https://build.opensuse.org/project

With options like these, complaining about the used of systemd in the mainstream
(pen)SUSE is futile.