List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] systemd
From:       Larry Stotler <larrystotler () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-07-15 17:52:24

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Anton Aylward
<opensuse@antonaylward.com> wrote:
> If you feel that you need to "Make Linux Great Again" by regressing, then you
> can do so.  You can even publicise your 'systemd-free kde3 based' distribution
> for all to "share and enjoy".
> And if people decide they don't want to use that, then they don't need to.
> Just like you don't have to use the mainstream distributions.
> Oh, wait!  There are lots of people who have used to Build System to make their
> own highly customized distributions.
> https://build.opensuse.org/project

I wasn't complaining about systemd per se.  I personally just don't
think it's a good idea to put so much into an init system.  Microsoft
always had a policy of trying to hijack stuff by "extending" a
standard so they could control it and systemd "seems" to do a lot of
that.  And it's not portable to the BSDs(which some think is a good
thing).

From what I have seen, a lot of people just don't like the devs, LP
the least.  For all his ranting, in some ways he is as arrogant as
Linus is "mean".

However, when you get right down to it, most users(and I include
myself in this group) are not programmers and don't have time to try
to get that deeply involved in things.  They just want a system that
works the way they expect.  There are many ways to support a project.
Money(I used to but the boxed versions of S.u.S.E.), time(coding,
teaching, helping, etc) and more.  When the openSUSE project was
started it gave users more of a voice in the direction of the distro,
but at the end of the day, decisions have to be made and you can't
please everyone.

As for fragmentation being a strength, it is also a weakness.  So many
hours of developers times are taken to package each distro, when they
could be working to move things forward or to help clean up code
elsewhere.  But I'm not here to dictate to people what they should do.
Just making an observation.

As someone who has worked on computers for others for over 25 years, I
can say that most people just use what came with their computer and
could care less about anything else.  They'd rather pay me to fix it
than move to something that may be better.

Android has a similar, but reverse problem.  I run 4.0.4 on my LG
Mach.  It was one of the last keyboard/slider phones and it is 4G so
it does what I need.  But I can't get security updates for it so I
have to be careful what I do with it(of course it's rooted and has had
most unsecure crap stripped from it).  I don't know if I'd want to run
7.x on it, but i would be nice to be able to get some security
updates.

> With options like these, complaining about the used of systemd in the mainstream
> (pen)SUSE is futile.

Yep.  Maybe I will migrate away at some point.  Who knows?