List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] KMail5 Dependencies
From:       John Layt <jlayt () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-04-28 9:15:21

On 28 April 2016 at 08:55, sdm <fastcpu@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> I was curious about trying KMail5, but it needs a whole ton of hard
> dependencies to even install. PIM libraries, Akonadi, and on and on. When I
> install Thunderbird, it needs 0 dependencies. It doesn't even try to install
> 1 extra dependency. The last time I saw developers and package maintainers
> discussing Akondai, the gist I got from what they were saying was that it's
> pure crap and just a total mess that needs to be trashed. So, my question
> is, what does KMail5 need so many dependencies? It just looks like a ton of
> bloat; I don't want Akonadi or PIM or any of that stuff. All I would want is
> an email client and that's it. I guess I'll stick with Tbird, even though a
> non-GTK email client would be nice in the future.

A quick check shows:

kmail5 = 9.3Mb
Various KF5, PIM and Akonadi libraries ~= 65Mb

MozillaThunderbird = 83Mb
Various Mozilla libraries = 2Mb

Who's bloated now? And over the next few releases that dependency tree
will be cut that down ever more. Breaking something up into many
components so people can choose which bits they want isn't bloat,
quite the opposite. People for years complained how big and monolithic
KDE software was, now we break it up everyone complains how many
packages there are...

John.