List:       opensuse
Subject:    RE: [opensuse] KMail5 Dependencies
From:       stakanov () freenet ! de
Date:       2016-04-28 8:58:42

Well you have plenty. If you choose the Kontact/Kmail solution you get an integrated \
package. I would be curious when you did "talk to developers" because you info is \
opposed to mine. For what I know:

Either kmail / kontact as well as akonadi is under development. Kmail has integration \
with kleopatra and that is also developed on, to guarantee smartcard support (I had \
this info just today). Akonadi afaik is in the very moment partially rewritten to \
achieve higher speed and less system load.  By itself it is normal that Kmail draws \
in a lot of dependencies because is has a lot of functions (that you probably do not \
use).  Therefore for you there is T-bird, Claws, Evolution (although that will have a \
lot of gtk dependencies) and so many others.  So this is not really "it is pure \
crap". There have been (so I have been told) problems and bugs that are "by design \
error" (concerning especially annoying things like the "filter amnesia" and some \
others), and these are addressed by the rewriting.  Once you search for a specific \
mail or attachment, I can guarantee you, if your mail is about 5 to 6 years of \
messages, it is very nice (as done by me just two days ago) to find the mail in \
question in about 20 seconds or less, just by querying the database.  So..... I do \
not really subscribe to "pure crap".  YMMV.

P.s.
T-bird does not install dependency because it was originally designed to be a stand \
alone product. Independent but also not collaborative with the respective desktop or \
O.S.. Thus...what "dependency" should a totally independent third party product bring \
in? Anyway, what would be the issues of the dependencies? Running your KDE on a very \
small tablet device w/o disk space? Because if not, this will not bother you to try. \
Anyway if you do not like it, you can stop akonadi and you will have thereafter no \
system load.  Sure the first run of indexation of baloo / database will take about \
one day in my experience. If you set up at night and give the machine the whole night \
to work in standby you will be done without really noticing. Don't forget to setup \
spamassassin (you have to install the packages independently, they are not \
dependency) if you want a good spam filter with pop.

---
Mail & Cloud Made in Germany mit 3 GB Speicher! \
https://email.freenet.de/mail/Uebersicht?epid=e9900000450