List:       opensuse
Subject:    RE: [opensuse] KMail5 Dependencies
From:       Per Jessen <per () computer ! org>
Date:       2016-04-28 9:22:40

stakanov@freenet.de wrote:

> many others. So this is not really "it is pure crap". There have been
> (so I have been told) problems and bugs that are "by design error"
> (concerning especially annoying things like the "filter amnesia" and
> some others), and these are addressed by the rewriting. Once you
> search for a specific mail or attachment, I can guarantee you, if your
> mail is about 5 to 6 years of messages, it is very nice (as done by me
> just two days ago) to find the mail in question in about 20 seconds or
> less, just by querying the database.

For IMAP users, email indexes are often/usually maintained by the IMAP
server (dovecot et al).
With the imap index it probably takes a couple of seconds, without it,
it took 11 seconds to search 57000 mails :-)

> Anyway, what would
> be the issues of the dependencies?

Some people just like to know what they install and why. I also don't
like installing stuff that drags along loads of dependencies,
especially ones I don't think I need.  For instance, when you install
rrdtool, it drags along all kinds of graphics and font stuff, wayland
and X11, dri and mesa - all of which is utterly superfluous on a system
where you only do the data collection.  It's not about space, it's
about being in control.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.8 °C)