List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Firefox memory leak
From:       Jim Sabatke <jsabatke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-08-30 18:41:16

On 08/30/2014 12:24 PM, jdebert wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:16:37 -0500
> Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Jim,
>>>
>>>    I would put my money on an ill-behaved add-on. I'm ultra picky
>>> about firefox/thunderbird -- and the latest (while the UI is a
>>> pain) has been very well behaved from a memory/performance
>>> standpoint.
>>>
>>>    MozillaFirefox-31.0-33.1.x86_64
>>>
>>>    I generally have it up for weeks at a time with 5-15 tabs going.
>>> The only thing you really have to watch for are sights that force
>>> continual reloads and js updates. Other than that, FF 31 gets a
>>> very good grade.
>>>
>> Thank you.  I'm sure you are right about an add-on, though I only
>> have a couple, like a password manager, and it's hard to imagine that
>> taking up memory.  I hate js and I would put money on that.  As an
>> old 'C', awk, yacc and lex programmer, the newer technologies are a
>> bit of a mystery to me, though I understand them conceptually. I've
>> designed and built quite a few little languages over my career, which
>> was kind of my niche; solving problems with data structures and
>> languages.  That's the technology I come from and understand.
>>
>> I had expressed concerns about using non-Suse-generated distros
>> because Suse loves to put things in different places than other
>> distros.  I've used Suse since 3.x and over time have been burned by
>> disparate lib's, so I have avoided them over time.  Of course I do
>> compile quite a few programs that I need, like gimp plug-ins that
>> aren't available any other way when I have to.
>>
> The SuSE Way doesn't seem to affect how apps from mozilla run. But if
> you use SuSE provided addons just remember, symlinks are your friends.
>
>> So, any advice and guidance on installing a newer Firefox version
>> would be appreciated.  I'm sure I'll have to uninstall the existing
>> stuff, but that's easy to do.
>>
> In case this is useful:
>
> I install all mozilla in /usr/local/mozilla. Makes it easier to backup
> and reinstall if needed and helps preserve it all across system
> upgrades, especially if it's on a nonsystem partition, like /home.
> Under mozilla are firefox/, thunderbird/, seamonkey/, etc. Since I use
> multiple versions and languages, each version+language gets put in
> their own directory, i.e., firefox-32.0.en, firefox-22.0.ja, etc. under
> firefox/. Extensions are (mostly) common to all so they are put in a
> single directory under mozilla, symlinked from the various
> language/locale/versions. (Makes maintenance a bit easier.) Thus
> everything for mozilla is in one place, rather than scattered
> everywhere. It has problems, sure, but those can be worked around. And
> this arrangement is still less hassle to maintain. There are some
> caveats, such as globally installed addons cannot be upgraded normally:
> easiest workaround, mirror global addons in a profile, say,
> "SystemAddonManager", then upgrade there and copy over to the global
> [...]
Thanks, that isn't confusing at all.  Like I've said, I have install a
lot of software over the many years I've used Suse.  I am likely to
install it under the /opt directory, as I feel comfortable putting
self-installed software there and not mixing it into the /usr tree.

Thank you and everyone for their patient help.

Jim