List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Firefox memory leak
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2014-08-30 22:46:37

On 08/27/2014 11:45 AM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
> I should have mentioned that I've run a system monitor and have watched
> Thunderbird take up more and more memory until it stops responding.  I realize
> people often don't understand memory management.  Back in the old days, I wrote
> memory management software for embedded systems and even a floppy disk
> controller with memory management.  I've written routines that track allocation
> and reported problem routines.  I had to really jump through hoops to get
> Windows to behave well in those days.

Jim,

   I suspect this too is some addon (or some need to uninstall/reinstall the
addons). At rough glance, I have some 200+ folders containing some 150,000
messages of mostly junk that I've yet to sort/delete. I do experience a tbird
crash now and then (once every couple of weeks of 24/7 operation, but nothing
alarming - the last two crashes being:

Aug  8 04:00 bp-bb6449f8-f973-45a3-92b0-45c112140808.txt
Aug 29 22:07 bp-58a9439b-2793-467d-b795-0f0472140830.txt

   Honestly, I bet if you did something similar to the following for thunderbird
(transfer data to a new profile), your problems would improve:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Recovering%20important%20data%20from%20an%20old%20profile?style_mode=inproduct
 http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Firefox

   As mentioned earlier, I didn't even have to go that far. The addon
uninstall/reinstall was all it took (I still had addons that I had installed
with FF3 TB2 and had updated for the past several years -- I suspect there were
some earlier setting from old versions of addons still around that were fixed
with the uninstall/reinstall)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.