List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Firefox memory leak
From:       jdebert <jdebert () garlic ! com>
Date:       2014-08-30 17:45:35

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 22:17:10 -0500
"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/29/2014 09:16 PM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
> > So, any advice and guidance on installing a newer Firefox version
> > would be appreciated.  I'm sure I'll have to uninstall the existing
> > stuff, but that's easy to do.
>
> Well, I moved from 11.4 FF 26 to 13.1 FF31 and the only hiccup was
> the UI change that occurred somewhere around 26.  I had a little
> challenge in the move:
>
> See 7/14/14 thread: [opensuse] Firefox 30, noscript control stuck on
> bookmarks toolbar?? - how to move?
>
> Basically, I have a number of addons. Here is a list of my current:
>
> [110k]
> http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/openSuSE/131/ffaddons.jpg
> I don't know how to dump a text listing :(

Extension List Dumper may help.

> The trick to make everything work (after much frustration), was
> simply to uninstall the addons, then reinstall them. (don't ask me
> why) That solved all major problems I had with the 26->30 move. FF31
> works functionally the same as 24-26, the UI (their continual need to
> dork with things) was the only substantial change. But after
> uninstall/reinstall of all addons, I can't really tell the difference.

They usually just recommend deleting addons.ini, addons.sqlite,
extensions.ini & extensions.sqlite. the app will scan the addons and
rebuild the .ini & .sqlite files.

FEBE and CLEO may help make reinstalling addons easier. Provided
they're used before they're needed.

Some addons won't work with the new UI. They require the status bar.
And without the status bar, what's left gets too crowded now. Most
annoying.

jd