List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Firefox memory leak
From:       jdebert <jdebert () garlic ! com>
Date:       2014-08-30 17:24:02

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:16:37 -0500
Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/29/2014 07:49 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> > On 08/27/2014 11:51 AM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
> >> Add-ins is a good bet.  I'll disable and report back.  It may take
> >> a while
> >> because of the nature of memory problems.  One problem with
> >> add-ins is that
> >> often websites I need won't run without them.
> >>
> >> I'm running 26 and haven't been able to find any newer packages to
> >> install.
> >>

> > Jim,
> >
> >   I would put my money on an ill-behaved add-on. I'm ultra picky
> > about firefox/thunderbird -- and the latest (while the UI is a
> > pain) has been very well behaved from a memory/performance
> > standpoint.
> >
> >   MozillaFirefox-31.0-33.1.x86_64
> >
> >   I generally have it up for weeks at a time with 5-15 tabs going.
> > The only thing you really have to watch for are sights that force
> > continual reloads and js updates. Other than that, FF 31 gets a
> > very good grade.
> >
> Thank you.  I'm sure you are right about an add-on, though I only
> have a couple, like a password manager, and it's hard to imagine that
> taking up memory.  I hate js and I would put money on that.  As an
> old 'C', awk, yacc and lex programmer, the newer technologies are a
> bit of a mystery to me, though I understand them conceptually. I've
> designed and built quite a few little languages over my career, which
> was kind of my niche; solving problems with data structures and
> languages.  That's the technology I come from and understand.
>
> I had expressed concerns about using non-Suse-generated distros
> because Suse loves to put things in different places than other
> distros.  I've used Suse since 3.x and over time have been burned by
> disparate lib's, so I have avoided them over time.  Of course I do
> compile quite a few programs that I need, like gimp plug-ins that
> aren't available any other way when I have to.

The SuSE Way doesn't seem to affect how apps from mozilla run. But if
you use SuSE provided addons just remember, symlinks are your friends.

> So, any advice and guidance on installing a newer Firefox version
> would be appreciated.  I'm sure I'll have to uninstall the existing
> stuff, but that's easy to do.

In case this is useful:

I install all mozilla in /usr/local/mozilla. Makes it easier to backup
and reinstall if needed and helps preserve it all across system
upgrades, especially if it's on a nonsystem partition, like /home.
Under mozilla are firefox/, thunderbird/, seamonkey/, etc. Since I use
multiple versions and languages, each version+language gets put in
their own directory, i.e., firefox-32.0.en, firefox-22.0.ja, etc. under
firefox/. Extensions are (mostly) common to all so they are put in a
single directory under mozilla, symlinked from the various
language/locale/versions. (Makes maintenance a bit easier.) Thus
everything for mozilla is in one place, rather than scattered
everywhere. It has problems, sure, but those can be worked around. And
this arrangement is still less hassle to maintain. There are some
caveats, such as globally installed addons cannot be upgraded normally:
easiest workaround, mirror global addons in a profile, say,
"SystemAddonManager", then upgrade there and copy over to the global
directories and chown & chmod as needed. Symlinks don't seem to work
for this, unfortunately.

If I'm confusing you, I suppose I could try something else. But I'm
sure others have better ways.

jd