List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Firefox memory leak
From:       Jim Sabatke <jsabatke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-08-30 2:16:37

On 08/29/2014 07:49 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/27/2014 11:51 AM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
>> Add-ins is a good bet.  I'll disable and report back.  It may take a
>> while
>> because of the nature of memory problems.  One problem with add-ins
>> is that
>> often websites I need won't run without them.
>>
>> I'm running 26 and haven't been able to find any newer packages to
>> install.
>>

> Jim,
>
>   I would put my money on an ill-behaved add-on. I'm ultra picky about
> firefox/thunderbird -- and the latest (while the UI is a pain) has
> been very well behaved from a memory/performance standpoint.
>
>   MozillaFirefox-31.0-33.1.x86_64
>
>   I generally have it up for weeks at a time with 5-15 tabs going. The
> only thing you really have to watch for are sights that force
> continual reloads and js updates. Other than that, FF 31 gets a very
> good grade.

Thank you.  I'm sure you are right about an add-on, though I only have a
couple, like a password manager, and it's hard to imagine that taking up
memory.  I hate js and I would put money on that.  As an old 'C', awk,
yacc and lex programmer, the newer technologies are a bit of a mystery
to me, though I understand them conceptually. I've designed and built
quite a few little languages over my career, which was kind of my niche;
solving problems with data structures and languages.  That's the
technology I come from and understand.

I had expressed concerns about using non-Suse-generated distros because
Suse loves to put things in different places than other distros.  I've
used Suse since 3.x and over time have been burned by disparate lib's,
so I have avoided them over time.  Of course I do compile quite a few
programs that I need, like gimp plug-ins that aren't available any other
way when I have to.

So, any advice and guidance on installing a newer Firefox version would
be appreciated.  I'm sure I'll have to uninstall the existing stuff, but
that's easy to do.

Thanks,

Jim