List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] NAS home backup?
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-07-10 23:25:36

On 10/07/14 16:55, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> I would like to set up an older desktop system for backing up five home systems
> over the internal LAN. [snip]
>
> [snip]
>
> I'm thinking that rsync would be the best for this use but would entertain
> other methods.  [snip]  My main question regards
> backing up from the two Windows boxes.  Would that need Samba or some other
> software?
>
> [snip]
>

> Thanks, Tom

I use rsync through a script on my Linux boxes (through a NFS share) and Create Synchronicity
(http://synchronicity.sourceforge.net/) on my Windows box (through a Samba share).

On some of my Linux boxes the script runs when I logout/shutdown (via ~/.kde4/shutdown) and others I
use cron to start the script.

On Windows, I have to manually initiate the backup in Create Synchronicity. There may be a way to
schedule it, just haven't bothered to look into it.

I have a DLink DNS-323 NAS with NFS support. I have been using this setup for a couple of years
without any problems.

HTH,

Alvin