List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] When I have downloads running, DNS fails.
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2014-07-10 23:37:38

On Thursday, 2014-07-10 at 19:21 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> Aparently, the router is not capable of prioritizing and doing two
>> things at the same time, like doing a download, and querying upstream
>> DNSs.
>
> The router might be, but there's no guarantee that the rest of your
> uplink adheres to any QoS indicators.

True, but the router could reserve some litle bandwidth for itself, so
that it can still do DNS. It can control its own download speed, if it
wants to.

>>          forwarders { 192.168.1.1; };
>>          forward first;
>>
>> which means that it asks my router, which in turn asks my ISP.
>> Maybe I should tell my machine to query some other DNS server outside,
>> instead, in case it is just the router which can not do two things,
>> but it may allow packages to go in or out... :-?
>
> It's worth bypassing your router as a test, certainly.  If the router is
> being maxed out, that might be the problem.

And it works... the router is faulty in this respect.

I'm using now:

     forwarders { 8.8.8.8; 208.67.222.222; };

which I'm not happy with, as google learns even more about my usage. I
could not learn my ISP DNS from my router. Wait, I can, old logs...

Yes, they work. Now I have:

         forwarders { 80.58.61.250; 80.58.61.254; 208.67.222.222; 8.8.8.8; };

Tested with a large download running....

And the problem can not be my small internet pipe. However, other devices
in the house, like my mobile phone, which gets their setting via dhcp from
the router, fail. Unless... ok, I just configured my router to give as DNS
addresses those listed above, instead of itself. [...] Yep, it works.

- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.
        (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)