List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Accumulating kernels
From:       Anton Aylward <opensuse () antonaylward ! com>
Date:       2014-07-05 12:08:58

On 07/05/2014 05:44 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

> I just noted Anton's reference above to "..downloaded with yast/zypper.." .

:-)

> For this reason I must add to what I wrote earlier in answer to your
> question about what appears in the grub menu, and that is that I NEVER
> update the kernel using YaST but always use zypper.

Same here.  Zypper is my friend :-)

> The kernel I use comes not from the oS update repo but from the
> ../Kernel:/stable/standard/ repo,

Same here

> and the first thing I do when I first
> boot the computer in the morning

I don't boot my computer.
I'm of the opinion that turning the hard drive on and off is not good
for it.

I don't turn my refrigerator or wall clock on each morning either but
for different reasons.

> is to do 'zypper refresh', 'zypper
> patch', 'zypper up' -

Same here.

> so YaST doesn't ever come into the picture.

Oh I use yast a lot; it tells me things that are tedious step-and-repeat
under zypper.  Sometimes guis are useful.

> If a
> new kernel is downloaded I then do 'grub2-mkconfig....' followed by
> recompiling the nVidia driver to suit the new kernel.

You shouldn't need to do that.
The download should trigger the 'grub2-mkdconfig'.
You should see that happening.
At the very least you should see a pause after the kernel gets
downloaded and if you hot-key to another vt and run 'ps' or 'top' or
similar you can see mkconfig and its components running.

If its not doing that then something is very very fundamentally wrong
with your configuration.

--
     /"\
     \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign