List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Accumulating kernels
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2014-07-05 11:04:27

On 05/07/14 20:29, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> [07-05-14 05:46]:
>   [...]
>> The kernel I use comes not from the oS update repo but from the
>> ../Kernel:/stable/standard/ repo, and the first thing I do when I
>> first boot the computer in the morning is to do 'zypper refresh',
>> 'zypper patch', 'zypper up' - so YaST doesn't ever come into the
>> picture. If a new kernel is downloaded I then do 'grub2-mkconfig....'
>> followed by recompiling the nVidia driver to suit the new kernel.
> I also use zypper rather than yast for software/kernel updates, but I fail
> to understand the need to "grub2-mkconfig" as zypper performs that task,
> iiuc???

I have six operating systems installed and use a bootloader (sda1 which
I mount in /mnt/btldr) which produces the grub menu from which I boot
the appropriate system I need. At the moment it is either 13.1 or
Windows 7 Professional - and as soon as I get this 13.2 and Factory
thing worked out (it's now being tested on the laptop) it will replace
oS 12.3 Tumbleweed.

With the above, when I install a new kernel I:

* first make backups of the '/mnt/btldr' and the 'boot' directories;

* then edit '/boot' to delete any old kernels, leaving the latest in place;

* run 'grub2-mkconfig......' firstly against '/boot' followed by running
it against '/mnt/btldr/......' (after mounting the latter of course);

* reboot the system into level 3 where I then compile the nVidia driver;

* then reboot into 13.1 with the latest kernel (with the nVidia driver
compiled for it).

Following this procedure I then always know where a problem may have
arisen should things go wrong - in other words, I have a "level playing
field" so to speak :-) . For example, when one runs 'grub2-mkconfig...."
while being booted in another oS version, let's say 12.2, then the first
entry in the boot grub menu will be 12.2 and not 13.1.

But mainly I do what I do is because I manually delete the old kernels
after I found at one time around 6 of them sitting in '/boot' taking up
~49MB each - and so I now zap them manually.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.13.2 & kernel 3.15.3-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor