List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Accumulating kernels
From:       Carl Hartung <opensuse () cehartung ! com>
Date:       2014-07-04 13:12:32

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 08:21:52 -0400
Anton Aylward wrote:

> What bothers me about your description, Carl, is that the kernel
> update, if it came from one of the suse repositories and was
> downloaded with yast/zypper is that it should have automatically
> triggered the 'grub2-mkconfig' and not required you to do that
> manually.

Hi Anton, this was exactly my point. "Never" is kind of strong, but I
can't recall seeing this happen before with a normal zypper update.

> The 'only one entry' .... Well see the settings
> in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf.

These were as I expected:

multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)
multiversion.kernels = latest,running

> You might check the responses earlier in this thread for some ideas
> about how to (or not) retain more than one kernel during updates.

Before grub2, my standard configuration was always 'latest' plus the
previous two and the boot menu entries for each were created
automatically.

I'm beginning to think there's some kind of 'if in doubt, don't touch'
logic being triggered by the other installed operating systems. Maybe
more than one kernel under this scenario is too much for it to
figure out? :-)