List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Accumulating kernels
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2014-07-05 9:44:28

On 04/07/14 23:12, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 08:21:52 -0400
> Anton Aylward wrote:
>
>> What bothers me about your description, Carl, is that the kernel
>> update, if it came from one of the suse repositories and was
>> downloaded with yast/zypper is that it should have automatically
>> triggered the 'grub2-mkconfig' and not required you to do that
>> manually.
> Hi Anton, this was exactly my point. "Never" is kind of strong, but I
> can't recall seeing this happen before with a normal zypper update.
>
>> The 'only one entry' .... Well see the settings
>> in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf.
> These were as I expected:
>
> multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)
> multiversion.kernels = latest,running
>
>> You might check the responses earlier in this thread for some ideas
>> about how to (or not) retain more than one kernel during updates.
> Before grub2, my standard configuration was always 'latest' plus the
> previous two and the boot menu entries for each were created
> automatically.
>
> I'm beginning to think there's some kind of 'if in doubt, don't touch'
> logic being triggered by the other installed operating systems. Maybe
> more than one kernel under this scenario is too much for it to
> figure out? :-)

I just noted Anton's reference above to "..downloaded with yast/zypper.." .

For this reason I must add to what I wrote earlier in answer to your
question about what appears in the grub menu, and that is that I NEVER
update the kernel using YaST but always use zypper.

The kernel I use comes not from the oS update repo but from the
../Kernel:/stable/standard/ repo, and the first thing I do when I first
boot the computer in the morning is to do 'zypper refresh', 'zypper
patch', 'zypper up' - so YaST doesn't ever come into the picture. If a
new kernel is downloaded I then do 'grub2-mkconfig....' followed by
recompiling the nVidia driver to suit the new kernel.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.13.2 & kernel 3.15.3-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor