List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Accumulating kernels
From:       Anton Aylward <opensuse () antonaylward ! com>
Date:       2014-07-04 12:21:52

On 07/04/2014 06:52 AM, Carl Hartung wrote:

> I'd already tried and it hadn't worked. That's what prompted my
> question. Actually, what _really_ prompted it was the kernel update
> where the boot menu was left untouched. [Note: 12.3 x86_64 KDE4.] It
> booted into the same kernel afterward and there was no new entry in the
> boot menu. After invoking 'grub2-mkconfig,' there was still only one
> entry in the boot menu, but it booted the updated kernel.

What bothers me about your description, Carl, is that the kernel update,
if it came from one of the suse repositories and was downloaded with
yast/zypper is that it should have automatically triggered the
'grub2-mkconfig' and not required you to do that manually.

The 'only one entry' .... Well see the settings in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf.

You might check the responses earlier in this thread for some ideas
about how to (or not) retain more than one kernel during updates.

--
     /"\
     \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign