List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Accumulating kernels
From:       Carl Hartung <opensuse () cehartung ! com>
Date:       2014-07-04 10:52:53

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 18:01:36 +1000
Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 02/07/14 21:38, Carl Hartung wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:07:46 +1000
> > Basil Chupin wrote:
> >
> >> I don't use TW either and what I do is first backup '/boot' to
> >> '/boot-backup' then (using mc, of course) delete the other
> >> kernel(s) and associated files (there are 8 files in total per
> >> kernel version) and then execute 'grub2-mkconfig
> >> -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg'. Works a treat.
> > Hi Basil,
> >
> > Side question: If you leave more than one kernel in place, this
> > method is supposed to generate a couple of boot menu entries for
> > each one, correct (regular & 'failsafe')?
> >
> > thx!
>
> Ouch! :-(
>
> You are asking a question which really comes in 2 parts:
>
> 1) does leaving more than one kernel in place generate more than one
> boot menu entry; and
>
> 2) do those extra boot menus for the other (old) kernels actually
> work?
>
> The answer to the (1) is YES, but the answer to (2) is something
> which I have to answer with some trepidation because I don't remember
> - but I do seem to recall that it does not: only the latest kernel
> will boot the system.
>
> But try it for yourself.
>
> BC

Thanks Basil,

I'd already tried and it hadn't worked. That's what prompted my
question. Actually, what _really_ prompted it was the kernel update
where the boot menu was left untouched. [Note: 12.3 x86_64 KDE4.] It
booted into the same kernel afterward and there was no new entry in the
boot menu. After invoking 'grub2-mkconfig,' there was still only one
entry in the boot menu, but it booted the updated kernel.

regards,

Carl