List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Accumulating kernels
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2014-07-03 8:01:36

On 02/07/14 21:38, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:07:46 +1000
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I don't use TW either and what I do is first backup '/boot' to
>> '/boot-backup' then (using mc, of course) delete the other kernel(s)
>> and associated files (there are 8 files in total per kernel version)
>> and then execute 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg'. Works a
>> treat.
> Hi Basil,
>
> Side question: If you leave more than one kernel in place, this method
> is supposed to generate a couple of boot menu entries for each one,
> correct (regular & 'failsafe')?
>
> thx!

Ouch! :-(

You are asking a question which really comes in 2 parts:

1) does leaving more than one kernel in place generate more than one
boot menu entry; and

2) do those extra boot menus for the other (old) kernels actually work?

The answer to the (1) is YES, but the answer to (2) is something which I
have to answer with some trepidation because I don't remember - but I do
seem to recall that it does not: only the latest kernel will boot the
system.

But try it for yourself.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.13.2 & kernel 3.15.2-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor