List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] running a program before shutdown
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-23 12:27:18

On 22/04/14 05:35, Benjamin wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I do have a small problem: I want to run unison before i log out of kde, so that my \
> files are synchronized automatically. I created a .desktop file and placed it in \
> /.kde4/shutdown/. The .desktop file is specified by the command: unison myprofile \
> -batch I tried it, but it seems, that this doesn ´t work, because nothing was \
> synchronized after login in again. Although in the systemsettings in the category \
> autostart, my .desktop is listed and set to logout. Any suggestions.
> Best Benjamin!
>
> ps.: I already tried it with a shell-scrpit, which i also placed in the shutdown \
> folder, but this also didn ´t work…

I do something similar, but I used bash scripts instead of .desktop files to run \
rsync on log out.

The key was that I needed to have two scripts: One that does the work (runs rsync) \
the other was a wrapper that starts up konsole with my first script.

This is the script I have in my ~/.kde4/shutdown/myrsync_wrapper.sh.

   konsole --nofork --hide-menubar --hide-tabbar --geometry "1680x1050+0+0" -e \
$HOME/myrsync.sh

   exit 0

When I log out or shutdown, KDE runs the myrsync_wrapper.sh script. A konsole is then \
started with dimensions 1680x1050. This forces the window to fill my whole screen.

If I am logging out and I do not want to run the script, say after an update to KDE, \
I simply press CTRL+C in konsole and the script exits and KDE logs out as per usual.

Hope this helps,

Alvin