List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] System not starting!
From:       "Benjamin Draxlbauer" <Benjamin10 () gmx ! at>
Date:       2014-04-23 12:09:27

Thanks for help and sorry that i write a little bit confusing, it is just the case, \
that i do not really have a clue, why my system is damaged…that is why it is a \
little bit confusing…

@ Carlos:
> - Now the "system hangs up at the point directly after the server
> directory 389 is reached and is marked with the green OK in the startup
> screen".
I mean by this, that when i press ESC after grub has loaded (so that I escaped the \
splash screen) I can see all the things loading the system as okay it is already \
welcoming me in Opensuse 13.1 (Bottle)…And it is nearly loading everything in the \
system, all with okay, but after   [ ok ] Reached target Basic System.
          Starting Bluetooth service…
   [ ok ] Reached target 389 Directory Server
  the system hangs showing me just the cursor _ blinking and doing nothing at all
@ Carl: I already waited about 5 minutes, and normally my system is up in about 40 \
seconds.

@ Carlos:
> There is a brute force procedure which _sometimes_ succeeds to restore
> some big problems. It is booting from the FULL install DVD (not the
> KDE/Gnome lives), and when asked, choose "upgrade installed system", and
> follow your nose...

I also thought about that, but I am frightened, that much of my system settings is \
ruined and have to do a lot of install stuff…That is why i asked you here ;)

Just to clarify the stuff with the script:
I already deleted the script and links out of /init.d and tried to reboot, but this \
did not help at all, still I am not even able to run a console via CTRL-ALT-F1 or run \
the   recovery mode. Actually I do not really know how i can make sanity check of my \
system at this state…

THANKS so far and sorry again for so much writing :) - Benjamin.

Gesendet:  Mittwoch, 23. April 2014 um 13:27 Uhr
Von:  "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@telefonica.net>
An:  oS-en <opensuse@opensuse.org>
Betreff:  Re: [opensuse] System not starting!
On 2014-04-23 13:18, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:02:49 +0200

> Here I am attempting to restate the problem by rearranging your words:

Thanks.

> - You were "trying to get a small script working which should sync some
> folders" ... "The Desktop folder with a dropbox folder."
>
> - The script is/was called "Sync". You "placed this in /etc/init.d
> and made it executable".
>
> - You created "symbolic links ... in rc0.d and rc6.d":
>
> "ln -s /etc/init.d/Sync /etc/init.d/rc0.d/K10Sync
> ln -s /etc/init.d/Sync /etc/init.d/rc6.d/K10Sync"
>
> - Now the "system hangs up at the point directly after the server
> directory 389 is reached and is marked with the green OK in the startup
> screen".

Now, this thing about "directory 389" I don't understand at all what it
is. We need precise clarification of this part in order to make an
accurate recommendation.

> You also wrote "i might have changed some stuff in /etc/sysctl editor
> in yast or with regard to the runlevels init.d , but not being aware of
> it."
>
> These values are easily checked. If you go here
> <http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse91/suselinux-adminguide/html/ch13s07.html>
> you'll see it says "The files where the most important SUSE LINUX
> settings are stored are located in the /etc/sysconfig directory." and
> "Do not modify the /etc/sysconfig files if you lack previous experience
> and knowledge. It could do considerable damage to your system. The
> files in /etc/sysconfig include a short comment for each variable to
> explain what effect they actually have."
>
> So, if you need to, you can boot into a 'live dvd' or the rescue system
> and sanity check the settings.

There is a brute force procedure which _sometimes_ succeeds to restore
some big problems. It is booting from the FULL install DVD (not the
KDE/Gnome lives), and when asked, choose "upgrade installed system", and
follow your nose...

It basically destroys updates and replaces many configuration files with
defaults - but not all.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)