List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] No GNOME after upgrade
From:       Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon () decoulon ! ch>
Date:       2010-09-17 19:35:24

On Friday 17 September 2010, Robert Schweikert wrote:
> > Looks to me as the X settings have been screwed up and has to be fixed.
>
> OK, any pointers about what files I need to fiddle with would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Robert

Well, I'm very new at 11.3 myself and lots of things have changed since 11.2,
there seem to be a new graphic "system" that "guesses" everything by itself
and, as usual with these  _stupid_  wizardry, when it works its so easy but
when it fails it's C***. Sax has been removed it seems :(

Nevertheless, this is what I would do if I was in your case:

a) It may depend on what graphic card you use. I have an Nvidia.

b) basically the place to look at is /etc/X11. In old time there should have
been an xorg.conf file there that contains the information necessary to run
X. The new system seems to put whatever it guesses somewhere else (don't know
where), but the system will honnor and use an xorg.conf file (at least the
Nvidia configuration creates one and it works).

c) Once you are root at the command line (I use init 3 to get there, but you
should not need that as you don't have X running), xou can
try "X -configure". It should create an xorg.new (or xorg.conf.new) file and
tell you where it put it. Copy the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and try startx

If this does not work, please give more informations about your hardware and
someone may be able to help.

Other solutions I can think of are:

- copy xorg.conf back from some backup of your 11.1 install

- you could even try some live CD (Mepis for example) that automagically sets
up X and get the xorg.conf from there. It may or may not work but all distro
should be running roughly the same version of X at the moment. Once you get X
running it should be possible to tweak the settings if you screen is not
good.

Hope that can help

Thierry