List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] No GNOME after upgrade
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-17 19:16:37

On 09/17/2010 12:10 PM, Robert Schweikert wrote:

> OK, any pointers about what files I need to fiddle with would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Robert

Robert,

	Start with the basics:

(1) do you have the proper kernel module (driver) installed to support your
graphics card? What is it? Intel, ATI, Nvidia?

(2) go move /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.sav and restart X.
(rcxdm/rcgdm restart) X has been able to choose reasonable defaults without an
xorg.conf since ~7.2. Also, since you are using gnome, there is a big change
between gdm 1X and the new gdm 2X. I don't know if you had a custom theme for
gdm installed with 11.1, but it will not be supported in gdm 2X (there are
presently very limited mods available for the new gdm) (further, I don't know if
that would impact your X start or not, but it's worth looking into)

(3) make sure there is nothing funky in your ~/.Xdefaults

(4) make sure you have the right 11.3 gnome repositories available to zypper. I
have:

baseurl=http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_11.3
baseurl=http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/GNOME:/Contrib/openSUSE_11.3
baseurl=http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:/2.30/openSUSE_11.3

Those are the immediate ideas that come to mind.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC