List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?
From:       "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss () iguanasuicide ! net>
Date:       2009-06-14 2:12:54

In <87f94c370906130524n61ef9b11l6a36600d89c05608@mail.gmail.com>, Greg
Freemyer wrote:
>MBR used to invoke grub stage 1.5 or 2.  -  No label support, so the
>user can be screwed every time a user adds / removes disks?

Yes, at this level all the information provided to any running system is
only that provided by BIOS.

Well, for PCs using BIOS; other architectures use different methods.  At
some point in the future PCs may switch to EFI.  I believe the x86 Macs
already use EFI, and I know some server systems support it.

>That's not a bug, that's FUBAR.  I did not realize we were allowing
>the government to design our boot methodologies.

Don't blame the government for the idiocy that is BIOS; blame IBM (or
whoever they contracted that out to).

EFI may help in the future, but it will depend your motherboard supporting
it--there's no software upgrade path.

Depending on your hardware, coreboot/LinuxBIOS might suit your needs better
than whatever BIOS your manufacturer provided.  Coreboot/LinuxBIOS is free
software, so any investment (time or money) would be welcomed.  This might
be a software upgrade path.