List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Re: Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?
From:       Heinz Diehl <htd () fancy-poultry ! org>
Date:       2009-06-13 21:31:33

On 13.06.2009, Linda Walsh wrote:

> AND please, people -- GET OFF the idea that '/boot' SHOULD be a
> separate partition.  It's 1) anachronistic, and 2) good _unix_ practice.

No, Linda, that's actually bad practice!

There's a lot of reasons to have a separate /boot Partition. You can mount
it ro to prevent damage to the boot system (as it is often done together
with /usr on high reliable servers). And consider an encrypted root fs
on a laptop, you'll need a separate /boot, too. And so on...

> I also do the standard partitioning thing -- migrating over the
> years based on OS and disk-constraints, but why not use XFS for
> everything?  It requires no fsck.

No fs "needs" any checks, unless you want a reliable and properly working system.

> Is just fine for nearly all general
> user purposes -- it's robust and space efficient.  The only downside --
> which users rarely see is it takes seconds to delete thousands of files
> instead of 10ths of a second.

Did you ever try to create an xfs partition by using

 mkfs.xfs -f -l lazy-count=1,version=2 -i attr=2 -d agcount=4

mount it with

 mount -o rw,noatime,logbsize=256k,logbufs=8,nobarrier

and re-run your benchmarks again? It can delete a lot of small files as
fast as ext3 does, maybe a little bit more slowly, but not in that range
that you describe here.