List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse]  Re: Backup of NTFS file systems with Linux
From:       Jim Henderson <hendersj () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-14 3:30:22

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 02:01:49 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Then, there is the alternative of using a windows native archiving
> utility that knows about ntfs attributes; perhaps winrar or winzip?
>
> Of course, it would only be usefull for data recovery, not system,
> unless I'm mistaken.

You're not mistaken.  There are things you wouldn't get with programs
like that that are necessary to get Windows to boot - ISTR that there are
(or perhaps were, I'm no expert on current Windows releases) things that
need to be in particular places on the disk in order to boot properly
(relative to the partition, not absolute positions).  That may have
changed.

Jim
--
 Jim Henderson