List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Stupid Google Redirect URL Utility
From:       David Bolt <bcrafhfr () davjam ! org>
Date:       2009-06-09 19:53:22

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:-

>Here's an example:
>
>Search Google for some functional programming terminology:
>
>Search Terms: "Catamorphism Anamorphism Hylomorphism Paramorphism"
>
>Search URL resulting from submitting those search terms:
>
>    <http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Catamorphism+Anamorphism+Hylomorphi
>sm+Paramorphism&btnG=Google+Search&fp=jdOYMfF-0fs>

From here I get a similar link, but pointing to google.co.uk.

>First hit copied from browser window:

<Snip>

>URL displayed by browser when mousing over link of first hit before
>clicking:
>
>    <http://splonderzoek.blogspot.com/2009/04/latest-on-incremental-
>fold-and.html>

That's what I see as well.

>URL in clipboard (and browser URL feedback area) after using browsers'
>
><http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2
>Fsplonderzoek.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F04%2Flatest-on-incremental-fold-
>and.html&ei=a28uSq2GKJ30tAOg34mwCg&rct=j&q=Catamorphism+Anamorphism+Hyl
>omorphism+Paramorphism&usg=AFQjCNFtCb0gtAYCKDT5hVs3pHbK5Vn7lQ>

Now this is different. With the .co.uk site I get the same link in the
clipboard as was originally shown in the results, rather than this
monstrosity.

However, repeating the same steps using google.com results in the above
link being copied into the clipboard. It looks like the change is made
as soon as a mouse button is clicked.

Regards,
        David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b |                   |