List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Large disks in Opensuse 11
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-05-15 12:20:21

On 2009/05/15 12:35 (GMT+0200) Per Inge Oestmoen composed:

> Today I installed the troublesome disk into another Akasa enclosure.

> It was then recognized correctly as a 1 Tb drive, partitioned and is
> ready to be formatted.

> Thus, the culprit has been identified as the Akasa enclosure. No drive
> works in that one which is obviously defect.

> Now I enjoy two 1 Tb Western Digital Black drives with no problems.

> Thanks for the discussion and for all help.

> The remaining question is whether I should go for OpenSuSE 11.1 instead
> of 11.0, or perhaps choose OpenSuSe 10.3 if that one is even better even
> though not the most recent one. Is there any consensus about which
> version is preferable?

No consensus. There are different bugs in each. You need to find out which
will cause you least grief.

Video drivers are one thing to focus on. If you use Intel, you might be least
happy with 11.1, but that depends particularly on which Intel chip you have.

Package management (mostly zypper-related) is most evolved in 11.1.

I don't remember all the other reasons any more, but the system I use the
most was built about a month after I got my 11.1 retail box, and uses 11.0
with a Radeon gfxcard. My other systems get Factory booted the most, and of
those you named, 10.3 gets booted the least.
--
"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man
keeps himself under control."	Proverbs 29:11 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/