List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Large disks in Opensuse 11
From:       Per Inge Oestmoen <pioe () coldsiberia ! org>
Date:       2009-05-13 11:24:21

Hello all!

I am now able to report on the very latest development.

This morning, I decided to take another Western Digital Caviar Black 1
Tb disk, and install it into another Akasa enclosure of the same type.

Thus, I had the same type of disk in the same type of cabinet as I had
when I experienced failure to see and partition that drive.

Upon attaching the drive to the USB port, I was amazed when I opened
YaST, and the disk showed no problems - and with the correct size
whereas the other disk in the other enclosure was listed as 2 Tb and
then dropped out in many instances.

This time there were no problems whatsoever in partitioning and
formatting, and I am only facing the dilemma of what file system I want
to format it with.

Thus, we have narrowed the whole thing down to the source of error being
either in the other disk or the other enclosure. The precise answer can
  of course be found by swapping the two disks and put the former one
who failed to be partitioned into the new enclosure. Which is not a very
big thing at all.

I am thankful for the inputs so far, and of course for the courteous
atmosphere that prevailed during the whole discussion with very few
heated words.

Feel free to comment, but before I swap the drives in order to find out,
I would like to receive suggestions as to what file system I should
choose. I originally thought to use FAT, but some of you advised against
it in favor of Ext3. Personally I would like ReiserFS, but that is more
difficult to read/write from/to from a Windows machine. Also, I have a
MacBook Pro which to my knowledge can read neither ReiserFS nor Ext3.
That would make FAT the preferred choice unless there are weighty
reasons to go with something else.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway