List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Large disks in Opensuse 11
From:       Larry Stotler <larrystotler () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-13 12:45:38

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Per Inge Oestmoen <pioe@coldsiberia.org> wrote:
> Upon attaching the drive to the USB port, I was amazed when I opened
> YaST, and the disk showed no problems - and with the correct size
> whereas the other disk in the other enclosure was listed as 2 Tb and
> then dropped out in many instances.
> This time there were no problems whatsoever in partitioning and
> formatting, and I am only facing the dilemma of what file system I want
> to format it with.

Glad to hear  that you have made progress.

As for file systems, you should probably just use NTFS if you need to
be able to read write from Windows.  That should have the best
compatibiltity and is more efficient than FAT with larger volumes.

OS X Has limited support for NTFS.  There is also:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

But it's commercial and costs $40.  Kinda pricy just to be able to use
NTFS on Mac.

I believe there is ntfs-3g support for OS X, but I don't use OS X much
so I dunno.

Good luck