List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] ATI question
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-05-08 6:24:48

On 2009/05/08 00:22 (GMT-0500) David C. Rankin composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> My display has only two functional dimensions....

> 	You are probably using an LCD display, The 3rd dimension to monitors has
> practically disappeared in the past 4-5 years. It's still there, just smaller;-)

LCD displays have exactly the same number of functional dimensions as CRT
displays - 2.

> ...I was running Lotus Magellan on DOS 4.1...

I had Magellan installed, but rarely used it. I found NC more useful, and
still find FC/2, FC/W, FC/L & MC far more useful than any GUI file manager.

The only reason I switched from DesqView to OS/2 was to facilitate internet
access, which I managed to hold off until 1997. Even now I do more than half
my work in OS/2, in part to run a DOS "swiss army knife" (Quattro Pro
spreadsheet). I've sampled GUI spreadsheets, and found all grossly inferior
to the 132 column monospace text modes. Linux I added much later, in part to
work into an expected future migration from OS/2, in part to run Apache and
host local file backups.

I make good use of tools I already know how to use, and find little time to
try to learn new ones. Productivity is job one. Bling is for kids.

Back to topic: All my PCIe cards are ATI X600, nearly the last chip supported
natively by good OS/2 drivers, and the only PCIe gfxcard class that supports
my main productivity tool via its legacy BIOS components.
--
"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man
keeps himself under control."	Proverbs 29:11 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/