List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse]  Re: Interactive Firewall Needed
From:       jdd <jdd () dodin ! org>
Date:       2009-05-08 6:18:29

Jim Henderson a écrit :

> To ask that every person who uses a computer be trained to perform
> network analysis of their applications "if they're really interested in
> security" is frankly nonsense.

problem is that asking the user at run time is not a solution, at
least for security.

I have to maintain windows machines for my relatives. They tend to let
many applications opened and computer just sleeping between days.

Many of these applications have to connect to the net.

How can they know is a connection demand is right or wrong? when the
window popup, you don't even know why. Most apps nowaday have good
reason to access the net (cdda database...), so in 99% of the case you
have to say yes. The chance you are full awake and ready to fear when
one do that shouldn't is really small.

Like this you can catch programming errors or honest but too curious
authors, like the one wanting to know who uses his app. I'm pretty
sure malicious apps authors don't fear zone alarm

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org