List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] NO PERSONAL REPLIES TO POSTINGS ON THIS LIST!!
From:       Kai Ponte <kai () perfectreign ! com>
Date:       2006-12-08 16:11:37

On Thursday 07 December 2006 16:43, J Sloan wrote:
> Jan Engelhardt wrote:

<snip>

> > Just cut it already if you are not going to produce something useful
> > (like the procmail recipe - thanks at this point to Rob Unsworth). It's
> > interesting to see _you_ talking about "windbloze" though you are using
> > kmail -- a click-and-colorful GUI like ... Windows users use.
>
> But he's running it a unix OS, not windoze... Claiming that anything GUI is
> somehow like windoze is just plain silly.

I througoughly agree!  I just posted a similar response yesterday on
linuxquestions as well.

That fact that most of us want an easy to use, intuitive GUI for our daily
tasks does not mean we like or advocate Windows. Microsoft - as usual - took
many ideas from other companies and combined them into a very easy to use and
somewhat standardized GUI format. This format is easily recognizable and
transferrable to different OS platforms - Windows, KDE, GNOME, MACOS - for
example. If I were running on my old SPARC 5 with SUN OS and XWindows, you'd
see similar functionality. (Though the GUI wasn't as nice.)

For those few who want to stick with non GUI interfaces, that's just fine. I
don't blame you and will let you pass on your way. For the rest of us, please
let us be!

> > Even unrelated to that, saying things like "winbloze" reveals the
> > naiveness and FUD that hides behind "windows sucks linux rocks"
> > statements.
>
> IMHO there's nothing naive about saying that windoze sucks, rather it' a
> sign of sentient life!

Again, I concur. Using terms like Winblows, or Wintendo (my favorite) or
Microshaft or other derogatory terms is just fine. It does not show any
naiveness or spread FUD. It is opinion, nothing more.

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request