List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Another [OT] Hardware Post
From:       Erik Trimble <erik.trimble () oracle ! com>
Date:       2011-02-23 23:32:44

On 2/23/2011 12:20 PM, Orvar Korvar wrote:
> I just want an integrated 3D in a cpu that can give me 1080p, Compiz, simple games \
> in Wine/VirtualBox, etc. It is not really important to me if I get updates to a 3D \
> driver, as long as it gives me the above. I hope Sandybridge would give me this? \
> What do you think, should the Solarsi 3D driver for Sandybridge be able to give me \
> all this? Never mind frequent updates...

Oscar,

What's driving your SandyBridge desire?

Given that S-B is just starting to ship now, you'll pay a premium to get
it, vs any older CPU.

Given what you've previously described your usage is:

Quote:
"I thought 3D driver for Sandbybridge was on it's way? I dont need excellent 3D \
performance, just so I can see 1080p video, use Compiz, play old games in \
Wine/VirtualBox, such as Starcraft 1, Diablo 2, etc.

I hope in this case, I do not need Nvidia graphics card. Now, I have a ATI4850 and \
the 2D driver is not really good, I can not playback 1080p video - that is impossible \
because of huge lag.

I want to build a Solaris PC with low power requirements. Sandybridge/Ivybridge with \
one SSD and no discrete graphics card. I suspect this config will idle at ~50Watt and \
still provide plenty of cpu power, but low 3D performance. Which is perfect for a \
SunRay server. Maybe I should settle for Ivy Bridge, which should have the same 3D \
graphics driver, I hope."

I'd actually recommend something like an "Energy-Efficient" version of an Athlon II \
and a motherboard with integrated nVidia graphics.

Something like this:

AMD Athlon II X3 400e (2.2Ghz, 45W thermal, triple-core, Socket AM3)	$100
AMD Athlon II X4 615e (2.5Ghz, 45W thermal, quad-core, Socket AM3)	$150

MSI NF750-G55 motherboard  		$85
	(http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1879)

It's better supported under Solaris now, and should fit your needs easily.

--

Erik Trimble
Java System Support